WBY Shootout: Manitowoc Roncalli 65, Plymouth 55
After a tight first quarter, the Manitowoc Roncalli Jets pulled away from the Plymouth Panthers and secured a 65-55 victory at the WBY Shootout today at Concordia University.
The game was tightly contested early on with Plymouth holding a 17-15 lead after one quarter, but Manitowoc Roncalli pulled away in the second quarter. Led by Josh Erickson, the Jets outscored the Panthers 22-4 in the second quarter. Erickson scored 19 first-half points and ended with 30 points for the game.
The second half started off much the same with the Jets leading 55-32 going into the fourth quarter. Even with a seemingly insurmountable defecit, the Panthers fought back and drew within six points with 20 seconds left in the game, but ultimately ended up falling 65-55.
Up Next: Racine Case (#4 in Division I) vs. West De Pere (#2 in Division II). Lots of talent on the floor. Should be fun
- Really liked the length and athleticism of Plymouth’s Kollin Neils and Tom Jankowski. Both in control throughout the game and did a great job in the halfcourt
- Josh Erickson was unreal for Roncalli in the first half. He was deadly from downtown and then used the threat of his shot to make some plays. He had a couple assists just because of the pressure he put on the defense as a shooter.
- Roncalli did a really nice job screening. It can be difficult to teach high school kids to set up and use screens, but the Roncalli players were very patient and did a great job using their screens.
- As the game went on, Plymouth did a great job applying more and more pressure, but Roncalli was extremely composed and used back cuts to exploit Plymouth’s aggressiveness.
- Roncalli struggled down the stretch with such a big lead. They were forced to decide if they wanted to waste time or if they wanted to take open layups. It can be a difficult decision as a player and difficult for a coach to help from the sideline. Because of this struggle, they saw a 20+ point lead evaporate to 10 with 1:40 left.